Team Top Chick

Team Top Chick
GC Rome, Ga. 2010

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

BBQ judging was different back then....

When I started judging I got to know both my fellow judges and the cook teams. Usually on Friday nights I would wonder around the cook sites talking to teams and often as not sampling their Friday night supper. .This was great fun. This was how I got to be friends with folks like the Swifts, Bob Fite, Steve Blake, Byron, The Porkticioners (Don, Stick, and Dr. Chris), all the Weddingtons, the McWrights, Governor, Paradise Ridge,  the Tollens, JC, Pete, and so many others. I think interaction between judges and cook team is very important and good.

Then somebody changed the rules and now judges act like they are afraid to speak to cooks. In fact after cooking for eight years , I hardly know any new judges. They just run in their own pack.

Let me say this; Not once did I ever see or learn anything while visiting a cook that would allow me to identify their entry and show preferential treatment. Hell, I don't even think I could pick out my own entry out on a judging table.

If you want to see more unity and a healthier KCBS, this needs to go back to the old way.

No comments: